Books & Resources
The Good Divorce: Keeping Your Family Together
When Your Marriage Comes Apart
The good divorce? Impossible? …
In this provocative groundbreaking and authoritative book, internationally acclaimed social scientist and family therapist Constance Ahrons defines the good divorce and shows how couples can achieve one. Read more…
in paperback & Kindle ebook
We’re Still Family: What Grown Children Have to Say
About Their Parents’ Divorce
What is the real legacy of divorce? Constance Ahrons, Ph.D., author of the highly praised The Good Divorce, decided to find out by expanding her landmark study to include in-depth interviews with 173 grown children whose divorcing parents she had interviewed twenty years earlier. What she has learned is both heartening and significant. Read more…
in paperback & Kindle ebook
Divorced Families: Meeting the Challenge
of Divorce and Remarriage
Drs. Ahrons and Rodgers describe some of the expectable difficulties for couples at different life-cycle stages — those with young children, childless couples, and midlife and aging couples — and offers guidance for making the most of the transition from separation to remarriage.
“Making Divorce Work: A Clinical Approach to the Binuclear Family”
In this compelling video, renowned therapist Constance Ahrons demonstrates her groundbreaking approach to working with divorced families, with an emphasis on helping ex-spouses and new spouses effectively manage their shared parenting obligations. In a time when fifty percent of American marriages end in divorce, therapists frequently encounter families struggling with the aftermath.
This video depicts a series of productive and poignant therapy sessions with an entire binuclear family: the divorced mother and father, their two sons, and the new wife of the children’s father. Dr. Ahrons aptly demonstrates how, over time, she brings these reluctant family members together to begin forging a more agreeable, cooperative approach to parenting.
Click on the title link to view the pdf version of the following resources.
- Gray divorces and the family: Divorce hurts children of all ages, even when they’re grown pdf of February 2013 blog post on Collaborative Family Law Group of San Diego
- 15 Golden Rules for Achieving a Good Divorce
- Exspouse Parenting Relationship Types
- The Five Transitions and Crisis Points of Divorce
- Family Ties After Divorce: Long-Term Implications for Children
- Introduction to the Special Issue on Divorce and Its Aftermath
- A Better Way: An Interview with The Good Divorce author, Constance Ahrons by Jason Marsh, Greater Good Magazine
- Adult Children and Their Fathers: Relationship Changes 20 Years After Parental Divorce by Constance Ahrons and Jennifer Tanner
For a complete historical listing of Constance Ahrons’ publications see her Curriculum Vitae